Attention, Administrative Professionals!
Are you someone who thrives on building strong relationships, increasing efficiencies and implementing solutions that improve operational effectiveness? Does the idea of overseeing and managing business finances and budget activities along with ensuring the smooth operation of a correctional institution peak your interest? If so, consider this opportunity as a Business Administrator with the Ministry of the Solicitor General, Algoma Treatment and Remand Centre. If you have a strong business aptitude to provide operational and administrative services in the following areas: Financial Planning, Analysis and Control, Workforce Management, Facilities Management, Human Resources Administration and Purchasing, consider joining our team. We would love to hear from you!
Don’t go unnoticed! Tell us your story and why you are the right fit for the Business Administrator role.
The Correctional Services Division of the Ministry of the Solicitor General in the Ontario Public Service (OPS) is responsible for maintaining and operating provincial correctional institutions for adult offenders, 18 years and over, who are serving a sentence of up to two years less a day or who are awaiting criminal proceedings. This ministry is also responsible for the community supervision of persons on probation, conditional sentences and provincial parole.
What a career in the OPS can offer you:
We care about the well-being of our people; that is why the OPS is committed to being an employer of first choice by creating a positive and inclusive work environment. In addition to a collegial and professional work culture, career growth and development as well as on-the-job training to help you succeed, we offer a competitive total compensation package, which includes an attractive salary and may include the following:
- A defined benefit pension plan
- Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits, which include adoptive parents
- Comprehensive Health and Dental Plans
- Life and Disability insurance
- 24/7 access to an Employee Assistance Program
- Online and in-person workshops
- Opportunities for advancement
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racism
The OPS is an innovative, responsive, and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable. Diversifying leadership teams is a top OPS priority with the goal to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most underrepresented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) in leadership positions.
The OPS invites all interested individuals to apply and encourages applications from Indigenous and racialized individuals, and persons with disabilities.
The OPS offers employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
- Demonstrate the leadership behaviours, attributes and mindset for leaders, across the organization, to lead the OPS into the future and deliver our vision.
- Provide leadership by managing and optimizing staff performance, building teams and maximizing employee engagement.
- Coordinate the administrative budget management, including forecast of expenditures, budget roll-ups, year-end accounting and financial reporting activities.
- Provide advice and technical guidance on financial, human resources and administrative matters.
- Manage the administration of payroll and benefits, human resources transactions, purchasing, mail operations, inventory control, computer systems, accounting functions, service agreements and service provider contracts.
- Assume managerial responsibilities of an assigned team and provide coaching and mentoring to staff.
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
How do I qualify?
- You can provide coaching, mentoring and technical direction to an assigned team.
- You can plan, organize and coordinate daily work in the office to ensure effective and efficient business operation.
- You can prioritize business needs and requirements, and effectively manage issues.
- You have knowledge of financial, administrative and purchasing processes and procedures.
- You have knowledge of automated financial tracking systems, spreadsheet and analytical programs.
- You have proven skills to provide support in a variety of human resources functions, including recruitment, employee training and development, and employee relations.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
- You can provide advice to the management team on financial, business and human resources planning.
- You can communicate effectively with service providers, vendors and contractors to exchange information, coordinate goods and services, and discuss and resolve issues.
- You can prepare a variety of written documents, including financial reports.
- You have proven communication, conflict management and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain professional working relationships.
Be sure to check out the Manager Recruitment Unit’s Application Preparation Guide for Aspiring Managers for tips on creating an impactful application!
Salary Range: $64,468 – $95,676 Per Year
1 Permanent, 800 Great Northern Rd, Sault Ste Marie, North Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Development Branch, Talent and Leadership Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 183637, by Monday, July 18, 2022. Please follow the instructions to submit your application.
Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.